Books are the gateway to imagination

Books are the gateway to imagination
Morgan welcomes you to her personal blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Woody Allen is back with a great new movie

Over the weekend I saw Midnight in Paris. I've been a Woody Allen fan for years, and my husband went to school with him, so seeing this film was a natural. It didn't disappoint.

We were enthralled from the first scene through the last, and so was the audience. As one would expect from an Allen movie the direction was perfect. Owen Wilson, in particular, was a standout. Okay, he is the star, but Wilson played his character so well we were with him every step of the way. Until the last line in the movie, you don't know if it is his imagination or not propelling him back in time. The celebrities he meets all pull it off in such a casual manner, it could be real---but is it?

Wilson has had his share of bad parts in recent years, and this one should put him back in the star ranking. I can't think of anyone who could have done it better.

The Paris scenery is captivating, and for anyone who has been to Paris it is right on. I enjoyed memories of walking the Champs Ellysees, eating mousse at a sidewalk cafe and just being immersed in the experience that is Paris. A quick flash of the Arc du Triomphe reminded me of the time I climbed to the top via a winding staircase comprised of what seemed like 500 stairs. I was panicked, wondering how I would get down when the person I was with, a fellow who was familiar with Paris, admitted that he'd played a trick on me and there was an elevator.

The story unfolds beautifully to a somewhat predictable conclusion. I highly recommend this movie because Woody Allen can still make a film that transports you to the world he creates. Allen doesn't need high tech devices and so many special effects the story gets lost in the process. All he needs is a good story, skilled actors and his superb direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment